LandFEAR

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ihave been very succesful with LPS, shrooms, polyps etc. and wold like to got to some SPS

My lighting is 492 watt MH and PC light,with 2 150 MH bulbs. I plan on keeping them high in tank (110 x-high).

My parameters are Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, undetectable by instant ocean test.

My calcium is 400ppm and alkalinity at 3 mEq/L and keeping stable with B-ioninc 2 part system

Any other concerns before I go SPS, any good beginners?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
looks pretty good... i would check out your phosphates and make sure they are lower then .05 (WITH A HANNA METER) dont use any salifert, instant ocean test kit for phosphate they dont work.... what we strive for in phosphate is .01 - .03....

i would also check out ur magnesium and make sure its at a good level.. 1350 - 1400 is what i like to keep mine at ;)...

i would also bump up ur alk to 10-11 and calcium to 450... this is just my opinion... do what works
for you..

LandFEAR

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last I checked phosphates were low, but gonna re check and post, Ihave 3 powerheads and the return line waterflow all making for good flow, Im gonna get a magnesium test and check that.

LandFEAR

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(2) aquaclear 70s about 400 gph, one small power head on top, old and not sure name, but still goves good flow. I than have the return line which is is a rio 3100, with head room in consideration, roughly 700 gph, and a good flow. I have an extra rio 2400 idont use, I could add with a wave make, but is a little strong and causes some corals to close up and stupid wave make goes flying off every day

LandFEAR

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if flow is the problem, I have a the rio 2500 which works as a really powerful powerhead, but seems to bother the corals, but if necessary I will be coming out. Any one who has been successful with SPS, opinions

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
You just don't want direct flow, IE a powerhead blowing on a coral in one direction (Laminer Flow) What works well is two powerheads at the surface of the tank pointed towards each other. That will give you turbulant and to a degree random flow. I'd start with montipora species as they are more forgiving and will hold their colors better than some other species till you get the hang of it. :)

zeroedge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could definitely try montipora. Before doing it I would add the Rio 2500. I'd probably put it in the center on one end with the attachment that widens the flow and put the other 2 powerheads on the opposite end. Pointing each cross tank towards opposite corners. This should mix up the flow a bit. Secondly, I believe that tank is 30" deep. I would keep any SPS in the top 12" of the aquarium to take advantage of the light that you have. Your 150w MH's and your PC's aren't enough to support SPS at the bottom of your tank.

zeroedge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fellow MR members this is a classic example of validation please waste no more effort or time, he go the answer he wanted therefore he has been validated. Good luck with your tank.

Whoa cowboy!!..I have never considered that answering a post as a waste of effort or time. Interesting point of view since forums are built on the idea of the sharing information and knowledge.

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
ZE I respect your contributions to the hobby and I understand where you are coming from. I also have seen numerous threads like this and this has nothing to do with you however, if you look at the above posts before yours you will see suggestions and responses to those suggestions, a member with numerous years in the hobby, a moderator here and the sites very own Google guru was "sent packing" because he likes LPS and not SPS. That being said he knows a lot about SPS LPS and Softies and was IMO insulted and dismissed.

Hey you gave him the answer he wanted to hear and now he has been validated, someone was bound to do it, unfortunately it was you this time.

PS never call me a cowboy, you might not like the results
1053.gif
I am a redneck after all :lol2:

Last edited:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I would say each person has their own opinions, but having 1 response and 1 validation sometimes isn't enough. If I was new to the forum, I wouldn't know the difference between someone who is an expert, and someone who just likes to post a lot. I have seen some people with high post counts, and I firmly do not believe everybody with high posts counts know their stuff, although most do. Its like when you buy a product, you dont want to read only 2 reviews, you want as much as you can get.

Back to topic.. I would also agree that you should have more flow

Last edited:

LandFEAR

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZE a moderator here and the sites very own Google guru was "sent packing" because he likes LPS and not SPS. That being said he knows a lot about SPS LPS and Softies and was IMO insulted and dismissed.

I meant no disrespect to anybody, I was just asking people who have been successful with sps there opinions. I apologize to who ever was insulted.

Thanks every one for your help, I couldnt be successful with the reef tank without all the info I get here:grouphug:

yf1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also "new" to MR, and the kind of impression I got here at the beginning, was: there are some "great" members on this forum, and they are some "ugly big mouth" members, and will never tolerate if you ask twice, do to not being sure what to do. and will make sure to take you away every bit of "confidents" like they are "hoooo knows what" and you are some kid just out of the pampers, not knowing a bit in "reefing",

Dear LandFEAR; if you need a truly honest person, with great blood, call up one of the best MR members: "WINGO" 347-739-2411 he is as I said "THE MAN" to talk to! He spends as much time as needed answering "ALL" ?stupid? questions as many times till "YOU" will be ready to give a course...

I my self was trying to go in to reef, and was not successful. the way "some" MR members treated me was "VERY brutal"

Till Wingo came and offered me his cell phone, came down to my app. , made his hands "wet" and helped me figuring what to do next, he spend by me 6 hours "Free"!
(see picture)

"Wingo" is a bigger professional compared to all this "big mouths", I ended ordering from Wingo a ?NEW 270Galon COSTOM SYSTEM" for about 8k!

"Yes" WINGO" is a SAMPLE what a MR member is to be!

And for your problems about heavy currents for the SPS: ask "Wingo", he will give you the RIGHT idea what will work for "YOU"

Thanks! And don?t never ever give up!

Enjoy reefing!

Attachments

• wingo.jpg
    wingo.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 74

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: