mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have extremely powerful lights, but the important thing is, some of my mushrooms like to be in the shade. completely out of direct light. so, your direct light would have to be stronger than my shadowed areas, right?
and i meant to ask out loud. the nano comment was for anyone reading, not you specifically.
view this-
http://www.fishsupply.com/stjbj-0163.html

you can keep mushrooms and xenia, things that moderately demand light in this nano. yet it's only 48 watts. i am using the same theory on your tank.
as for frogspawn-
http://www.aquahobby.com/corals/e_euphyllia_divisia.php

i believe it needs more light than you can offer at this time.

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are in good shape, even if you can only keep mushrooms. They come in many different colors and they are so easy to take care of. If you just want a little more color without more effort, they're perfect. I think you would leave yourself open to more fish options too if you did the mushrooms. The more different kinds of corals you keep, the more you limit yourself as far as the more beautiful, coral eating fishes. Sun corals are nice too, but the require a lot of direct care.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept hammer coral relativly high in a 125 with 4*96w PC, like you. Along with leathers, favia (did not do to well), and zoo's. With that kind of lighting you will want to keep all the corals in top half of the tank; the higher the better.

You could later add some metal halides and use the 96w PC's for actinic supplimentation.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told that you can keep mushrooms high up in a tank with weaker lights. I thought that leathers needed more light though, even at the top of the tank i wouldn't have thought there would have been enough.
I have a chilli sponge and that is a filter feeder. You could save up and get T5, this would increase your options.

Joew

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think i'll chime in here. I think some more info is needed, tank dimensions is really most important to give you a good answer on lighting. Just remember 1x metal halide light covers about 2 square feet of area. So if you tank is 6' in length i'd go with 3x250 Mh's. With that you can keep most everything. But again need dimensions.

Regards,
Joe W

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: