Good Alex

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi im new to reefs.org and i have a 150g tank without the greatest lights, and was wondering what corals dont need alot of light to live. ex sun coral, and georginians(bad speller) but would like to know of any more. I have 2 10 000k lights and 2 96w true antinics, decided not to up grade my lights, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Good Alex

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also 96w, and the tank is about two and a half feet high

ive also heard that blastos dont need strong light, can that be an option too?

Good Alex

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya when i bought it i had the intetions of a FOWLR tank and i do still but i would like to add some nice color, dont have any angels at the time that wold harass the corals thought, its like a peaceful FOWLR tank. so thats why im looking for corals that dont need any light, ive already found a few

Good Alex

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leathers and shrooms really?? dident think they would stand a chance thanks a bunch!

if anyone else knows of any please tell

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah..shrooms don't need tons of light. alot of my shrooms do well completely shaded from any substantial light.
and if you keep leathers high up on your rock, those power compacts should do the job.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Alex":2n03moz0 said:
leathers and shrooms really?? dident think they would stand a chance thanks a bunch!

if anyone else knows of any please tell

Sorry, have to disagree with that. IMO even high in the tank there isn't enough light penetration at that wattage to sustain them. I would save the money you'll spend compromising on corals ;) and use it to upgrade your lighting.

Good Alex

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was reading on another fourm that frogspawns are pretty hardy and can live with PC's do you think that they could be an option for me?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my shrooms do best at the bottom of my tank, and some under the shade of the rockwork. i have a toadstool that does best partially shaded as well.
i have a kenya tree that has branched off, and sent pieces floating. one hooked to a rock in almost ccomplete shade, and looks very happy.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
again, towards the top of the tank you could have these corals. it's not total wattage you're shooting for if you keep the corals close to the light.
it's like a nano cube that has 2x24 watts on it. are you telling me this is not enough light to keep any corals?

Good Alex

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mr_X":2ylxtpim said:
my shrooms do best at the bottom of my tank, and some under the shade of the rockwork. i have a toadstool that does best partially shaded as well.
i have a kenya tree that has branched off, and sent pieces floating. one hooked to a rock in almost ccomplete shade, and looks very happy.

What kind of lights do you have?

Good Alex

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mr_X":21xpjv62 said:
it's like a nano cube that has 2x24 watts on it. are you telling me this is not enough light to keep any corals?

Are you asking me if the nano has enough lights cause then if would depend what kind of lights, how high the tank is, sorry dident quite understand you

Good Alex

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was reading on another fourm that frogspawns are pretty hardy and can live with PC's do you think that they could be an option for me?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: