Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Awibrandy your water parms are poof of the inefficiency of your filtration system. Corals would not do well in there and if you put bright light on that tank, the algae would be out of control.
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I just don't want people to thing that wetdry filtration will give good results for a reef (or FO for that matter).

What are the water parms on the 155? what sort of trouble are you having?

Jackson, those para on the fowlr are after months of neglect, and no skimmer because I broke the skimmer to the reef. So I borrowed the skimmer from the fowlr until I get the right skimmer for the reef. And I never said that you should or could use a wet/dry on a reef. Heaven forbid.

My reef has a sump/refuge.
The 155 is being switched out to a predrilled reef read tank without scratches. The para. on that tank are

salinity 1.024
temp. 79
ph 8.4
ammo. 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
phosphate .25
calcium 560
not sure on alk

Oh yeah, and changing over to RO/DI:lol_large

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Oh yeah, and changing over to RO/DI:lol_large

Take a log and see how much changes after you change to RO/DI but not changing anything else to see the effect of limiting source of nutrients(provided that you don't over feed).

Or, alternately take a log with adding a up to std skimmer but not changing the source of nutrients(tap water for example) and tell us the new parameters. By then we can have a better live example of how effective your new skimmers is.

Chaning one thing a time will ensure you to understand the importance of that change in your system.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
OK.. hijacking. Before phosban reactor 1/17/07 phosphate 1.25, after 2/16/07 phosphate .25. But to be fair, I also removed all my lr but 3 pieces, and started topping off with RO/DI water.:biggrin: Me thinks I'm headed in the right direction.:wink1:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
HTML:
Even if there is a microaerophilic space within the rock, I don't think that the amount of space is enough for a sufficient quantity of bacteria to reside to perform significant nitrate conversion.

I also have to disagree with this statement. I guess I should introduce my self first. A Manhattan Reefs member invited me to join here from RC so here I am. My reef was set up in 1972 and it is still running. I have been at this for over fifty years.
Anyway, my tank has a very slow running RUGF (state of the art in 74)
My nitrates are very low and my rock has been in there most of the last 36 years. I believe there is enough space inside rock to harbor enough anerobic bacteria to convert "almost" all the wastes depending on the type of rock, how old it is and how much waste we are producing. I use a diatom filter occasionally to clean out the pores in my rock. I attach a restriction on the outlet of the diatom to create a powerwasher effect. When I aim this at the rock, the water exits from places sometimes 6" away from where I am direction the water proving (to me anyway) that that rock is more porous than we give it credit for.
As for bio balls they are a great way to eliminate ammonia in overstocked tanks or in dealers tanks. They do create nitrate which is fine, the ammonia has to go somewhere. We can use bio balls in a reef as I did for about 15 years but we also need the same capacity to convert that nitrate if we have bio balls or not. After I removed the bio balls from my system the nitrate went down from about 15 to about 5. I believe that is because bio balls convert ammonia to nitrate faster than the anerobic bacteria can process it. This is only a problem in a coral tank, fish can easily handle nitrate. I would imagine that a set up with bio balls and a large quantity of live rock or a very efficient DSB would be a perfect system. My reef never had a problem when I ran bio balls. I should say for the record that I have all LPS, soft corals and Gorgonians and no SPS.
Anyway have a great day.
Paul

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Paul, welcome to MR. Glad to have you here. Paul will you please post a thread in our Tank Threads. I believe people here will enjoy it. I certainly did on RC.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: