A

Anonymous

Lawdawg":2vghomy2 said:
sign0179.gif

If I were you (and I am not) I would have that bump looked at.

A

Anonymous

Lawdawg":18b9e0s4 said:

Not much going on. Works a bear right now, so to be honest I'm pretty much letting everything slide a bit at the moment.

Things are still pretty much the same, no changes to the tank or the layout. Mostly I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to need to pick up a chiller before next summer. The high temps aren't bothering the riccia or the HM at all, but both the isoetes and the HC don't seem to appreciate the heat. Kind of waiting to see how they fare throughout august; if they have real problems I'll have to decide if I want to bother having a chiller on a 15 gallon tank, or just move to keeping plants (like the riccia and the HM, for example) that don't have a problem with tank temps in the mid 80s.

The riccia is still behaving itself, though I can see it isn't going to for all that much longer. Aquabotanic's mosses and similar order from asia was bumped by a month, so it'll be mid august before any of that stuff's (easily) available to me now. No worries, though, as the riccia really is being much more well behaved than expected. If I had to guess I'd say it's the extreme lighting on this tank, penetrating deeply enough into the growing mass of it that the bottom-most layers haven't died off yet.

Tom was kind enough to translate a japanese web page for me last week, featuring a pretty ingenuous method of using riccia as a ground cover without having to tie it to anything, ever. So far it's just filed in the back of my head under "hey, that might be cool..." :D

A

Anonymous

God no, not another tank. I do my best to avoid falling victim to Multiple Tank Syndrome :)

Besides, before I could do the other idea, I'd have to figure out where to buy thin, stainless steel wire screens. Whenever things calm down and I have time I've got to do some research on where to find'em.

A

Anonymous

Ask Coprolite ;) I'm sure he can hook you up... heh :twisted:

A

Anonymous

cjdevito":12ehghkf said:
God no, not another tank. I do my best to avoid falling victim to Multiple Tank Syndrome :)

just be glad you don't live here.

mtspicture.jpg

(they deliver it.)

and

I thought dog's bumps were always looked at. :lol:

A

Anonymous

(..glances through Coprolite's thread...)

Hmm. Hardware cloth. Have to check it out later, might be a bit too big but it's something to go on. What I'd end up needing is this....

Attachments

• riccia-mesh.jpg
    riccia-mesh.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 128
A

Anonymous

Over lap the pieces so the openings are the right size. Yippee!! I gotcha started on a new tangent...my work here is done :lol:

A

Anonymous

:lol:

Part of the genius of this idea is that when the riccia under a square of mesh finally breaks free and floats up to the surface, you just scoop it up and put it right back under the mesh it came out from under. Only take about a week for it to completely overgrow and obscure the metal. Overlapping sheets of mesh might needlessly complicate it.

Still though, definitely gives me a starting point, which is much more than I had. Thanks :D

A

Anonymous

Tried the same approach myself in Japan. Packed the Riccia too tight though and I can vouch for the advice on that page you sent me. It does rot and end up looking really manky if you over pack.

A

Anonymous

I believe it. But then, you really don't need a whole lot as the base layer to get things going and filled in nicely. In my current setup, it only took about two portions to give me all I needed for the initial tie down.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using needlepoint graph for growing riccia, I sandwich the riccia between two pieces of it and tie it with cotton thread or fishing line. You can add a couple small pebbles between the two graphs to give it some extra space inside and weight as it can float up when pearling... You can also make a similar "box" as the one pictured above but you still need to weigh it down with a small pebble on top.

If you keep the riccia matts cut low you can keep growing the same piece without having to wait for it to foat up. I use a razor blade to "shave" the riccia as needed. As long as you don't let it grow thick and shadow the parts in the mesh too much you can get away with a couple "shavings" before having to re-sandwich a fresh piece of riccia that has floated up to the surface.

I had also purchased some metallic mesh they sell at art stores (same place you get the needlepoint graph from) they use as framing for plaster figures and artworks. They have bare metal, plastic coated metal and aluminum mesh sheets. I never got to use them though as I wasn't sure how they may react in the tank with low PH. I would prefer to find some stainless mesh in the future to try...

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing pretty well resisting the urge to set up a tank. This thread makes it tough!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh. You have perhaps the best taste in fish I've seen. 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: