A

Anonymous

Lawdawg":2dzd0xah said:
Awesome CJ...what are they :oops:

Pseudomogil cyanodorsalis, another small (1" or so) species of australian blue eye. They're euryhaline, tolerating everything from pure freshwater all the way up to hypersaline conditions significantly more salty than regular strength sea water. In nature they tend to prefer to hang out in mangrove-lined creeks in brackish conditions (around 1.007 SG), so that's what I'm going to try to give them. They can be kept in a pure freshwater tank or even a reef tank (just need to be gradually acclimated to the salinity level), but anecdotal reports are that they live longer and breed more readily in brackish conditions.

There's a guy out in California breeding them and offering them for sale. I've been drooling over them for nearly a year now and finally caved. Most commercially grown freshwater plants can't tolerate as much salt as is recommended for this fish, but I'm going to try slowly acclimating a few that might (valisneria, java fern, java moss, water sprite) over a month or so and see how they do.

Eventually, I'd like to do a real mangrove tank with them. Something where the tank is only half full of water, there are lots of mangrove seedlings, and maybe even a variable water level to mimic the tidal fluctuations. For now, though, it's going to be a much more simple set up. Tank should be up and running with them by mid-october or so.

A

Anonymous

cjdevito":12y63dxr said:
They can be kept in a pure freshwater tank or even a reef tank (just need to be gradually acclimated to the salinity level), but anecdotal reports are that they live longer and breed more readily in brackish conditions.

Hmm, wonder if they would do well in my nano. I've acclimated other brakish fish to full SG with good results. I thought about adding a trio of fancy guppies to my nano as a bit of surprise ;)

A

Anonymous

Lawdawg":209xmjz5 said:
Hmm, wonder if they would do well in my nano. I've acclimated other brakish fish to full SG with good results. I thought about adding a trio of fancy guppies to my nano as a bit of surprise ;)

They probably would. Shane made a post here back in 2003 that I stumbled on not long ago, involving someone he knew having kept them in a reef tank.... see http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... c&start=20

Just keep in mind the small size. While used to strong currents, they might have problems with any strong pump intakes. And would probably have huge problems with the opening grates on propeller pumps.

A

Anonymous

Well, the nano only has the effluent from the sump and a Korallia nano pump in it for circulation. The small size of the tank, with the config of the overflow + the nano pump make for decent swirling water movement without any hard laminar currents. The watchman easily swims stationary in most areas of flow. I would be more worried they would get caught by the sweepers of some of my LPS.

:) may just have to see if I can acquire a trio. Where are you getting them?

A

Anonymous

(bookmarked for later abuse) Thanks...maybe I will do that for chits and giggles. It would be different.

EDIT: sheesh! 6 unsexed for $38.00...cheap entertainment

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":xpgn897j said:
Oooh. You have perhaps the best taste in fish I've seen. 8)

Agreed. Top notch selections. I'm going to have to do a planted tank.

A

Anonymous

Flabello Meandroid":35zjiri1 said:

You've done them before, haven't you? Or am I just mis-remembering old vivariums?

A

Anonymous

cjdevito":1ackr1pp said:
Flabello Meandroid":1ackr1pp said:

You've done them before, haven't you? Or am I just mis-remembering old vivariums?

just do it. :lol:

A

Anonymous

cjdevito":311ckjt5 said:
Flabello Meandroid":311ckjt5 said:

Yes, I have. A minibow 7 and a 58, the latter which did pretty well until it succumbed to reefitis. Right now the 58 is my only glass box, holding 4 yellow solomon island leaf frogs and covered top to bottom with oak leaved ficus.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: