• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ansphire":2oyz2swz said:
How bout a protein skimmer suggestion for this tank..

The euro-reef cs8 is great.. but I can't spend allot of money again.

aqua c remora is a nice skimmer for a 30.

jahorgos

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you pay more for the name than anything. I'd go with the Hamiltons as they are usually cheaper in price. But if cost is no issue then have at it.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x just got the lights from hombby and is very satisfied with quality and price, ask him a few questions about it

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a well vented hood, a fan blowing air into the hood, and a relatively cool house you will not have any trouble keeping the tank cool.

As for livestock:

Basslets, Hawkfish, Gobies, Blennies, Dwarf Angels, Snowflake Eel, etc.

Candycane, Trumpet, Brain, Favia, Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn, Montipora, Stylophora, Leathers, etc. (Tree coral is a Softy, not a SPS)

As for number, you just have to see how crowded the tank gets. Hawkfish, blennies, gobies, basslets, and eels all perch/hide so that they don't really get in the way for free swimmers, such as clownfish. So while they do take up space, their should be less tension.

S!mon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recomend a large sump 20gal if you can fit it. I've got a very similar set-up and my tank gets pretty warm during the summer.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup thanks .. I have a 20g long sump. I'm also planning on building fans into the canopy, I mean 10" fans.. So hopefully there will be enough ventilation.

Now I was thinking, A 175w bulb in a 30g is going to be concentrated in the center... right?

Should I do two smaller bulbs, or will it be ok with the actinic supplementation?

S!mon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
175w on a 30g is plenty. You will have some "shade" on the sides if the tank, but this is a great spot for LPS and shrooms. Set up your atenics so that they are more to the outsides...if that makes sense.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To and from the sump can be minimal. I actually like less flow going through my sump then most people. It just is unnecessary and increases potential for problems. I run about 3-4X turnover, so if you have a 30 gallon, something like 100-150 (true) gph is more then fine. But that means you will need more circulation in the tank, such as powerheads or prop pumps.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planing on putting two powerheads in my tank.

Can You tell me In you experience why does more flow crate problems?

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is allot of questions,, but my book for dummies is too general.

Do I need to add carbon and phosban?.. I don't even know what phosban is..

But, Id doesn't sound like it is really necessary.

Comments?

herpencounter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two main concerns about using carbon is that carbon often leaches phosphate into the aquarium, and that it removes necessary trace elements needed by reef animals, mainly corals.
Phosban removes phosphates and silicates (so less algae growth).

herpencounter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people use carbon but when I use it I get all sorts of problems (its rely good stuff just I cant use it)... Use it if you have any problems in your tank remove the carbon (algae blooms etc.) :D .

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: