• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides Clowns, what else can I put in a 30g? Can I put invertebrates?

Im setting up a big FOWLR tank but also a 30G REEF tank,, I appreciate any help.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you can put in inverts you just don't want to overcrowd the tank with alot of living creatures,

what kind of inverts were you thinking about?

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. Can I keep anemones...

I don't want to overcrowd... I want a pair of "Nemo's" for my wife, an anemone for them, A few other fish... I'd say about 8 fish in total and defenitely corals... In a smaller tank, how many watts would I need?

What do you think, what fish, what inverts, what corals,,

Make this tank your own...

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, you can keep an anemone. but wait a while for your tank to mature a bit before adding one. also, make sure you don't purchase "tank raised" clowns. alot of times, the tank raised ones will not aknowledge aneome as a host.
also..you will need a considerable amount of light to keep anemone.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure but 8 fish may be on the high side in a 30 gallon I have about 15 in a 125 and i feel I am close to my limit,

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get more then 5 or 6 fish, but of course, that depends on what fish you choose. Two clowns, a basslet, a small wrasse, firefish, goby, or blenny, and maybe a dwarf angelfish ... that is what I'd consider for a 30 gallon.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mr_X":nizi8gyo said:
yes, you can keep an anemone. but wait a while for your tank to mature a bit before adding one. also, make sure you don't purchase "tank raised" clowns. alot of times, the tank raised ones will not aknowledge aneome as a host.
also..you will need a considerable amount of light to keep anemone.

I was under the impression that tank raised are more likely to host in an anemone that's not the normal host. A wild-caught fish will only accept it's normal host anemone (hence a perc won't host a BTA), but a captive bred one will often be less picky. Am I mistaken? :?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was told, and also witnessed first hand- tank raised clowns don't even pay attention to anemone. i have one as a matter of fact. :wink:

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, I'm so used to overstocking cichlids.

Ok.. I like Len's suggestion for fish..

Now.. for corals and lighting...

Its a 16" deep tank.. I was planning on buying a 175w metal halide 10,000k's. And supplement with a 55w actinic...

How does this sound?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not jealous at all, your in better hands with len. He da man!

thanks Len, show this guy a pic of your tank?

herpencounter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think, what fish, what inverts, what corals,,

Im new to corals and I don’t want to spend to much money on them and they all die because I don’t know what I was doing.

So I was going to get some easy to care for corals, and after a while as I got to know them I would get some more moderate corals.

I don’t have any right now but this is what im going to get...
If your not nervous about getting harder corals then you can look at other but these are some easier ones.

LPS
Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea furcata)
Brain Coral, Trachyphyllia (Trachyphyllia geoffroy)
Plate Coral, Short Tentacle (Fungia repanda)
Brain Coral, Pineapple (Favites sp.)

Polyps
Colony Polyp, Super Colored (Zoanthus sp.)

This place give lots of info on them.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=597

Hope this helps! :D

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bout a protein skimmer suggestion for this tank..

The euro-reef cs8 is great.. but I can't spend allot of money again.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ansphire":1obe02qe said:
I saw the tank in his page.... gorgeous!!!!

That's his old tank. He won't show us his new tank until it looks as good. I'm guessing will get to see it in about 2 years. :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: